Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Books of 2012

Words for Wednesdays

Do you have a line item for books in your budget?

At the beginning of this year, I decided I was going to read more than just our school books, and I did! (Not a very hard resolution to keep.)

I was asked in another forum to give my favorite 3 books that I read in 2012, so here they are: 

How to Overcome Evil by Jay Adams
Adams explains from Romans 12 what weapons God has given us to win the battle with evil. He encourages, "The Great General never commands His troops to do anything that they cannot do." Practical and applicable to everyone, I say it should be on every Christian's Bookshelf.

Harvest of Rubies by Tessa Afshar
This historical fiction novel positions the main character as the cousin of Nehemiah. Rarely have I ever wanted to read a novel with a highlighter in hand, but I did so with this book, not wanting to forget the lessons woven within the pages. An imperfect heroine makes the story that much more refreshing.

Putting Your Past in Its Place by Stephen Viars
A Biblical guide to dealing with our pasts. He helps us look at them through the lens of scripture. I appreciate his gentle yet firm approach, as well as the systematic way he moves through the book.

And I included this as a 4th...

And the Word Came with Power by Joanne Shetler.
The life of missionary Joanne Shetler as written in this book fills you with awe about our amazing God and His Word. While working with Wycliffe ministering to the Balangao people in the Philippines, she witnessed events that inspire us even now. Good for the whole family.

Here were more from the year, in no particular order:

Seeking Him Bible Study by Nancy Leigh DeMoss was life changing, literally.

A Gospel Primer for Christians by Milton Vincent helps me preach the gospel to myself daily.

Same Kind of Different as Me gave me eyes to see people, rather than look past them.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett caused me to wish I had a maid! LOL I'm looking forward to finally watching the movie. (Wanted to read the book first.)

Will Medicine Stop the Pain  by Dr. Laura Hendrickson and Elyse M. Fitzpatrick was extremely helpful.

Amy Inspired by Bethany Pierce was a sweet novel about a writer trying to make-it.

Thirteen Months by Don Brobst was a sad but tender book about a man's memories of the last months with his wife while she had cancer. I couldn't finish it. Too heart-wrenching.

Licensed to Kill by Brian Hedges gives practical Biblical hope in our battle with win.

Marta's Legacy by Francine Rivers reminded me that we all have stories, and we should overflow with grace.


So what was on your list this year?

No comments: