Friday, October 26, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Losing My Voice

Voice

(Five Minute Friday: Unscripted. Unedited. Real.)

Growing up, I'd lose my voice to Laryngitis multiple times a year. Though I have mostly gotten a handle on my allergies, I got laryngitis as recently as this spring while my family was in Disney World. For someone who talks a lot like me, this is a big deal.

While I'm silent and without a voice, I have to learn to gesture calmly with my hands. To get my point across without a word. And most importantly - to listen.

I used to say, "God knows when I've been doing too much talking, and He takes away my ability to speak."

Even in my times with Him, I need to make sure I read - listen - to Him more than I journal back - talk - to Him.

I've just finished spending some time in the Proverbs. I think the biggest topic that stood out to me was the subject of words. What we say, how we say it. As dificult as laryngitis is, I think it would be easier sometimes to live sinlessly without words!

Here are a few of my paraphrases from Proverbs:

  • Words can separate close friends.
  • Whispers can tear others down.
  • Words can start fires or build upon them.
  • Words can show your own folly.
  • Words can show your arrogance.
  • There are numerous cautions about speaking too much, about speaking the right thing, about not speaking to some people, about failing to speak to others.

Wouldn't it be easier without words?

And yet...

  • An appropriate word can bring joy to the heart.
  • A good word is like a perfect medicine.
  • A word rightly spoken is valued above the greatest riches.

Words are important. And as my five minutes draws to a close, I remind myself to use my voice to bring Him honor, and not myself. To build others up, and not tear down. To put out fires, rather than stoke them. To bring grace, and not condemnation. To speak truth that is heavy with mercy. To love. To use my voice, not for me.... but for Him.

5 comments:

Alyssa Joy said...

Beautifully put and so true :) Words are so crucial to us as a community, and wow! What a great testimony of God silencing you every once in a while ;) I lost my voice once when I was twelve and it was a reminder of how much I talk, and it also drew me closer to God. Thanks for sharing!!

cALyPsO said...

You must be a speed typer!! Words.. breathe life and death.. oh how I wish I could get laryngitis spontaneously. Some days... no one is safe from words.. and I regret every one of those times...

cALyPsO said...

You must be a speed typer!! Words.. breathe life and death.. oh how I wish I could get laryngitis spontaneously. Some days... no one is safe from words.. and I regret every one of those times...

Julie on an adventure said...

Such a great perspective on "voice" and beautifully written. Glad to have found your blog via Five Minute Friday!

BeckyE said...

cALyPsO - Yes, I do type really fast. :)