Monday, June 18, 2012

When Cleaning is Frightening


Mommy Mondays

Cleaning can be a very frightening task. Trust me, I know.

While calmly wiping down the bathtub last week, I pushed away the shower curtain to find something brown staring at me. Not even sure of what it was, I screamed, dropping my cleaning supplies and jumping back. Another quick glance showed it was a frog, so I dashed away, screaming out my oldest daughter’s name. She’s a brave girl. She could handle this problem.

She probably thought the bathroom was on fire, the way I hauled her to the location of the critter. When she saw that it was a frog, she got all ewwy-gooey on me. “Awww, a frog! It’s so cute!” And my 3 YO son was full of excitement. “A baby frog!”

Shivering with disgust, I said, “Please get it out of here,” which they did, to play with it in the backyard. (After I took a picture, of course.)

My daughter knows I mildly tolerate animals and bugs for her sake. She asked, “You mean, you don’t even like frogs?” 

I replied, “I don’t like anything that moves.” 

“Not even me?” she asked while batting her long eyelashes at me, using the sarcasm she got from her father. 

I gave her a gentle shove and clarified, “Only humans.”

There are animal lovers in the world, and I’m glad I have one in my home. I don’t know what I’d do without her. I imagine myself calling her home from college to rescue her mom from a frog. She’s such a blessing. 

As long as her pets are kept outside.


"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal." Proverbs 12:10a



No comments: