Thursday, February 23, 2012

I know it's a classic, but...

Is it sacrilegious to poke holes into a book that is known as a literary classic?

I just finished reading Little House on the Prairie to my kids. It's the first time I've ever read it. Somehow, though, I thought I knew all about the book series, having seen random episodes on TV of the family. I couldn't wait to dive into this classic!


We are studying about the pioneer's westward expansion. Laura and her family captured the attention of all of us as we lived the days with them, listened to the wolves howling outside of the cabin, sweated with pa as he worked so tirelessly day in and day out, and shivered with Laura when the Indian War Cries rang in the night.

Then, this afternoon we read the last two chapters.

My girls just stared at me like, "What? That's it?"

So basically, they pack up, move, and everything we just read was as if it never happened. We thought it was quite a let-down! I could hardly believe it.

So, in light of this, we eagerly went to the shelf and grabbed the next book in the series, hoping to find out what the brave, hard-working family does next. But unfortunately, it's about another boy, in another city entirely. We all just sighed and put it back on the shelf.

I know, I know, she marries that farmer boy. But I think we need to let the strange end of this book settle before we dive into the life of another young person.

No comments: