Monday, January 23, 2012

Husband Prayers: Day 21


Day 21: Praying for His Marriage

Lord, your plan for marriage was for my husband and I to become one flesh.  Even Paul says this is a great mystery! And also that You are the one who joined us together, so we are never to separate in divorce. (Matt 19:5-6) Lord, where there have been thoughts to this end, please bring healing. Help us to work out our differences and not even hint at the sin of divorce. May that word never come out of our mouths in an argument. Take it away from our minds, because I know that you hate divorce.

Your word gives four reasons why two people are better than one. First, they reap more benefit from their labor. Help me be on his side of whatever our labor is. Give me wisdom in regard to our money that we earn, give me patience if he’s working late, give me perseverance if we’re in a hard time, give me joy to share with him in the process, and give me strength when I’m working along side him. 

Then you say that two are better than one because if they fall, one will help the other one up! Help me have that same attitude with my husband!  Help me to encourage and not condemn when he falls. If he falls in sin, friendship, attitude, business, or any other way, remind me to have my hand out there, waiting to pull him back up. I’m reminded Lord of when Peter walked on water.  He started to fall and cried out to You. You didn’t hesitate. It says, “Immediately” You reached out Your hand and took a hold of him.  Help me to have that same attitude toward my husband.

Third, two can keep each other warm in bed. Give me a warm attitude toward my husband in bed. You have commanded us to keep the marriage bed pure. For my husband, I pray for purity of his thoughts and actions. Keep him from sexual immorality. Protect us, Lord. If I have been hurt by any unfaithfulness, God, please warm my heart to him again. Help my thoughts stay pure and loving, not resentful, hurtful, negative, prideful, ashamed… keep out whatever would hinder a right relationship with You and my husband. I pray that I would never use this aspect of our marriage as a way to punish him in any way.

Finally, you say that an assailant may overpower one person, but two can withstand him. Our biggest adversary is the Devil, who seeks to destroy us and our marriage. Help us stand firm together against him in Prayer – because You are our third strand, “A three-stranded cord is not quickly broken.” Lord, only in You can we accomplish all that You have planned for our marriage. Thank you for my husband and all that together we are becoming through You. (Ecc 6:9-12)


Two people are better than one, 
because they can reap more benefit from their labor.
For if they fall, one will help his companion up, 
but pity the person who falls down and has no one to help him up. 
Furthermore, if two lie down together, 
they can keep each other warm, but how can one person keep warm by himself?
Although an assailant may overpower one person, two can withstand him.
Moreover, a three-stranded cord is not quickly broken.
Ecc 4:9-12

Marriage must be honored among all and the marriage bed kept undefiled, for God will judge sexually immoral people and adulterers.
Heb 13:4

Nevertheless, each one of you must also love his own wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

No comments: