Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Husband Prayers: Day 15

We are half way through our 30-day journey of praying for our husbands! Today's is rather long, but I couldn't leave out any of the verses below. How has it been going? Feel free to tell us about it in the comments or on Facebook.


Day 15: Praying for His Reputation

Dear Lord, please protect my husband’s reputation. I understand from your word that a good reputation is more desirable than great wealth and it’s better than fine perfume. (Prov 22:1, Ecc 7:1) I desire that my husband “is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.” (Prov 31:23) Please forgive me if I have ever spoken badly about him to anyone. Help my words be helpful for building him up according to his needs (Eph 4:21). Help me be a wise woman, building my house up, rather than a foolish woman, tearing it down with my hands (Psalm 14:1).

As for my husband, Lord, help him take refuge in you, and free him from any traps that might be set against him (Ps 71:1). Keep him from fear as he trusts in You. What can man do to him? (Ps 56:11) Work in his heart so that he is seeking you and not doing anything that would cause disgrace. Instead, let his light and good deeds shine out for all to see that that everyone will praise You, our Heavenly Father (Matt 5:16).

Lord, people may mock him, persecute him, and lie about him, saying all sorts of evil things because he is a follower of you. When this happens, fill us with Your joy so we can still be glad. I know that there is a great reward waiting for him in Heaven. I also know that the prophets were also persecuted in this way, so we are in good company. (Matt 5:11-12) Help us fix our eyes on you, the author and perfector of our faith, who, for the joy set before you, endured the cross, scorning it’s shame, and sat down at the right hand of our Father. You endured the same opposition from sinful men, so help us not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:2-3) Help us to remember, in all we do, that we have a future hope of joy awaiting us too!



A good name is more desirable than great riches;
       to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.
Proverbs 22:1

A good name is better than fine perfume,
       and the day of death better than the day of birth.
Ecc 7:1

Her husband is respected at the city gate,
       where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
Prov 31:23

Like a sparrow in its flitting, like a swallow in its flying,
         So a curse without cause does not alight.
Prov 26:2

Deliver me from my enemies, O God;
       protect me from those who rise up against me.
Ps 59:1

Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me;
       fight against those who fight against me.
Ps 35:1

In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge;
       let me never be put to shame.
Ps 71:1

Free me from the trap that is set for me,
       for you are my refuge.
Ps 31:4

May all who seek to take my life
       be put to shame and confusion;
       may all who desire my ruin
       be turned back in disgrace.
Ps 40:14

In God I trust; I will not be afraid.
       What can man do to me?
Ps 56:11

As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame."
Rom 10:11

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
Matt 5:16

Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one—for God himself has given us right standing with himself. Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us.
Rom 8:33-34

Don’t let me be disgraced, O Lord,
      for I call out to you for help.
   Let the wicked be disgraced;
      let them lie silent in the grave.
 18 Silence their lying lips—
      those proud and arrogant lips that accuse the godly.
 19 How great is the goodness
      you have stored up for those who fear you.
   You lavish it on those who come to you for protection,
      blessing them before the watching world.
 20 You hide them in the shelter of your presence,
      safe from those who conspire against them.
   You shelter them in your presence,
      far from accusing tongues.
Ps 31:17-20

No comments: