Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Song for Every Season



Our church has started a new 10 week sermon series through the Psalms. You can listen to the first sermon on Psalm 1 here.

We've been encouraged to read through the Psalms using this plan, and also memorize two of them.

Have you ever read the Psalms straight through? I haven't. They've always been an addition to a reading plan or scattered here and there. I'm going to take this challenge! It's not too late. They read pretty quickly. Want to join me? We've also been encouraged to read them out loud, and the actress in me is loving this idea. :)

Along the way, I'm going to highlight my favorite verse from each Psalm. As some of you know, I've started doing that during my "read through the Bible" and it is nice to go back and see what stood out.

Some chapters are easier than others! I struggled a bit in Leviticus to find anything I wanted to write down. The Psalms, however, have their own challenge, as there are so many options!

Here's an example of how this looks for me:

_________________________________________

Psalm 1:2
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.

Psalm 2:4
He who sits in the heavens laughs,
The LORD scoffs at them.

Psalm 3:5
I lay down and slept;
I awoke, for the LORD sustains me.

Psalm 4:2
O sons of men, how long will my honor become a reproach?
How long will you love what is worthless and aim at deception?

Psalm 5:12
For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O LORD,
You surround him with favor as with a shield.

Psalm 6:9
The LORD has heard my supplication,
The LORD receives my prayer.

Psalm 7:10
My shield is with God,
Who saves the upright in heart.

Psalm 8:4
What is man that You take thought of him,
And the son of man that You care for him?

Psalm 9:10
And those who know Your name will put their trust in You,
For You, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You.

_________________________________________


Let me know if you are reading along too! It's going to be a great summer. :)

No comments: