Thursday, September 2, 2010

A fresh look at suffering

I was encouraged in Romans this week, chapter 5:3-5.

"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

So I outlined it. Suffering produces perseverance, which adds character, which builds hope.

And then I applied it to life.

  • Suffering: Disobedient Child
  • Perseverance: We can't give up. We must continue to consistently train and correct, trusting God's instructions.
  • Character: Through this, I develop patience, gentleness, and kindness.
  • Hope: Watching it work builds my confidence in God's plans. Plus, I have hope in the future when all relationships will be right, and there will be no more sin and disobedience.

I then took that same method and used it for various sufferings I've experienced and I'm going through with others. It was highly beneficial! And then praise God that with the Spirit, His love is being POURED into our hearts! Amen. :)

No comments: