Saturday, February 7, 2009

Baby Names


We are having a really tough time with a boy's name. I know he'll be here soon, and usually we have a short list we're working off of by now, but we keep shooting down every name we sort of like. We like it for a few days, and then instead of growing on us, it becomes worse and worse in our minds.

Of course I'm hearing a lot of names of girls that I really like, and I could have a really long list of options, but perhaps because it's not a girl I'm more open to the girl names... since I know I won't really need one.

This is the first time we've found out if it's a boy or girl, and it's been the hardest name discussion ever. I wonder if that's connected somehow? Or it could be that it's the 4th child. Or that we're just being really picky.

We went to a baby name genie online (a cute app) and it kept spitting out the "perfect" name. It was funny, because every time we pushed "try again" it would say something funny like, "That was a good one. You are incredibly hard to please!"

We either don't like the way the name sounds w/ our last name, or it isn't strong enough, or you can't make a nick name out of it, or we don't like the potential nick name, or we've known too many people with that name, or it doesn't match the other kids' names... on and on it goes.

I feel bad, because when friends and family suggest possible names, my immediate reaction is almost always to scrunch up my nose and say "Nah...." Everything from classic strong names like Michael and William to more trendy ones like Parker and Harrison... names always on my short list in the past that I really like.

So... we might have a baby named "boy" for awhile. I didn't think of Abby's until the day I went into labor. My devotions that morning were about Abigail in the story of David and I thought, "Abby! That's cute!" So maybe we'll see what my Bible Reading brings me that day.

Time will tell! :)

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I've had a boy name and a girl name picked out for years now... I wonder if they'll change when we actually get pregnant!