Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Power of Advertising


Our kids don't watch TV except for movies and occasionally PBS. I appreciate PBS because there are no commercials. A recent experience made me realize just how thankful for this I really am.

My girls started talking to me endlessly about this fold-and-go carseat. You can fold it up and easily take it with you anywhere. They just had to have one!

The Go Anywhere carseat was a sponsor of one of their PBS shows, so a quick demonstration of how it worked was placed in between their programming. This one mundane ad sent them into a tizzy of excitement. I can only imagine what regular commercials showing talking babies and toy cars that climb walls would do!

I was reminded of how good advertisers are at their jobs. That's what they get paid for - to make us think we need something. If a carseat ad excites my children, I can only imagine what else there would be out there to get them all riled up about.

So for now, our TV-less living will continue! And I'm more convinced of that than ever.

Philippians 4:12-13, NIV
"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

No comments: