Saturday, October 6, 2007

Stuff



Have you ever seen the Veggie Tales Movie, "Madame Blueberry?" It's about a blueberry who wants more stuff to make her happy and goes on a shopping spree at Stuff Mart. In the end when the stuff weighs down her treehouse, all the stuff falls in the river and her home sling-shots over the forest and crashes.

The show is really designed for adults because the stuff she is tempted to buy is adult stuff - new dishes, air compressors, bungee cords... you name it. I'd probably say my Stuff-Mart is Target. I walk in and the lights compel me to look and ooh and ahhh over stuff I didn't think I needed.

We have this thing in us that is looking for satisfaction. Fulfillment. Completion. We know we won't get it in stuff, but it's like we get a high off of the feeling of getting it for a moment. But it wears off, and we look for the next high. An addiction to the feeling of happiness.

The Bible says God has placed eternity in the hearts of men. We want something eternally satisfying. Lasting enjoyment. Not the fleeting stuff... but we keep trying the fleeting stuff, filling our lives with more stuff.

Sometimes it isn't physical stuff. It's a vacation, or decorating a room, or a big event, or a ministry opportunity, or.... you name it. Whatever the next high is we are trying to achieve. And we struggle living in the normal quietness of everyday life.

Two more thoughts on this, that actually spurred this to begin with. My sister in law just went overseas where the people have nothing yet share everything - they open their doors, welcome you in, and treat you like a King. They serve tea, sit and talk, and enjoy you. They aren't plagued by the stuff of life so they can spend their time on what matters - relationships.

And then I was at another family member's home today who has way too much stuff. There's a path through the home where the carpet is worn from walking, and there are piles and piles everywhere. It is not as bad as some stories I've heard, but given time, it will probably get there. Hoarding, buying, not purging....

Stuff - less is more. What if I tried to not buy another non-consumable thing for one year? I wonder if I could do it? It would certainly be a challenge. I'm not sure how I'd handle Christmas. Or maybe I could do something where we only get new things at birthdays and Christmas. I'm just talking off the cuff here. What are your thoughts on that?

Like a buying fast. Fasting from buying anything non-consumable. Maybe it would be better to start with a month.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

1 comment:

Stephanie B said...

I love the new look! And I agree with your post on "stuff"- we certainly need to keep the eternal perspective in mind, and hold lightly to the things of this world...