Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sleeping Through The Night

I feel like ranting a bit...

Who decided it would be a good idea to put the ideal of sleeping through the night in the heads of new parents? Everyone asks, "Is he sleeping through the night?" "How much is he sleeping?" "Are you getting any sleep?" Like it's a badge of honor or something to have a child who sleeps through the night.

Soapbox about infant training completely aside, my point is that I don't think that's an ideal that will ever be reached! My children are 6, 4, & 2. At least a few times a week, someone is either coughing, peeing in bed, having a bad dream, sick, etc... when does sleeping through the night ever become a constant reality again with children in the house? I can only imagine the nights I'll be up late waiting on older children to come home, or working on science fair projects, or helping to study for a test...

Sleep... endless, 8-10 hours every night. That ridiculous "rule" keeps most of us living as though we're missing out on something. But who said that is what we need, anyway? Science? Well, life says differently.

How much is mental? We need caffeine. We need Vitamin B12. We need a nap. I'm guilty of all three. I'm in the same boat. But I think I'd like to start thinking differently. Being content with what sleep God gives, enjoying the day as it plays out, and not lamenting the life I will live when I, as a parent, one day "sleep through the night."

And on that note, I'm off to get a "good night's sleep."

2 comments:

Lori said...

This is great...never thought of it this way:) I just feel so blessed to have the children that are keeping me awake:) You certainly can never feel lonely this way!

BeckyE said...

That's for sure!